Saturday 26 June 2010

Replacing the old.

Board Games.
 
Old-fashioned board games played as a family to pass the time. Sitting in front of the fire on a cold Winter's night, a family occasion - whatever the day, you can't beat a good old board game! From Battleships, Jenga, Frustration, Scrabble, Operation, to the brilliant Monopoly! - which is still going strong today and is probably the most popular board game ever produced. One for all the family!
 
So earlier this evening, well about half an hour ago, I was trying to put together a modern day version of 'Guess Who?' for my twin brothers. (There birthday is on Wednesday, but as we are away on holiday then, they were celebrating it today.) And it was incredibly frustrating as I could not set it up! The pictures of the people were not already in the 'windows' of the game but were on one big sheet. The problem with this was that I could not slide the full sheet into the back of the game. The main problem was that it had to have plastic supports and they would not fit in the silly game! The instructions told you to snap pieces of the plastic off on the back of the game; why did the manufactures put them on in the first place if they needed snapped off?!

This post probably means nothing to you who are reading it, but to me it obviously does make sense. Sorry for boring you with my frustrations. *half laugh* :)


Where have all the games gone, where you don't have to snap parts off, you can just take it out of the box and play? So, tonight this new game has been put back into its box to be put together another time.

At the minute there are so many different versions of one game and they do not definately live up to the easy, classic board games. How many verions of Monopoly do we actually need? I was happy with the original!

However the main point of this post was to show how simple, classic board games have turned so complex - in just setting up the game! Why? There was nothing wrong with the old way. In fact the old way was so much better.

2 comments:

  1. I hate putting things together- i can't imagine why the manufacturer would make putting together a board game so complicated-sure takes the fun out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I'm glad I am not the only one :) x

    ReplyDelete

thank you! your lovely comments always put a smile on my face :)