Sunday 16 January 2011

When the world forgets...

Hi everyone, have you been up to much this weekend? I have. Yesterday I went to the cinema with my friend Sarah and we went and watched 'The King's Speech,' it was actually really good and enlightened our sixteen year old selves about the King that led us through WW2. What was pretty amazing and for us pretty hilarious was that when we were waiting in the queue to go into the screen for the showing and when we were in the cinema waiting for the film to begin were the amount of older people there. We were probably the youngest people there that came of our own accord, any younger children were with parents/ grandparents. It was weird to think that these people would have been alive and growing up with this King their leader when we hadn't even heard of King George VI - real name Albert and nickname Bertie.


The film was about King George VI's stammer and how he overcame it with the help of his speech therapist Lionel. And, I have to add that the actors/actresses chosen for this film were definitely the right choice. Colin Firth gave a brilliant performance as the King and the amazing Helena Bonham Carter as his wife Queen Elizabeth, mother of the currently reigning Queen Elizabeth II. Not forgetting Geoffery Rush who played Lionel the speech therapist was superb too! (I can't believe how different he looks in this film to his other famous character Captain Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean!) It was honestly such a good film and I was surprised how much I enjoyed but then again I do love my history!

This morning I finished a brilliant book 'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton which you may have seen in my sidebar. I won't give any spoilers but this book was written in such an intelligent, creative way with so many twists and turns you don't find out the real truth until the last few pages. It was really good and recommend it to you all if you love reading and will be able to stick with the storyline as it goes back between past and present quite frequently. My next book I'm about to read is 'The Other Boleyn Girl' by Philippa Greggory which I'm looking forward to like I said before I do love history!
Hope you all had a great weekend, what have you done?

2 comments:

  1. I really feel like I should see The Kings Speech... but I don't know if I would like it! That books sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, the first time I seen the trailer I wasn't that sure if I wanted to see it or not but I'm glad I went :) x

    ReplyDelete

thank you! your lovely comments always put a smile on my face :)